Get Started Evaluating SIOS Protection Suite for Linux in Google Cloud Platform
Use this step-by-step guide to configure and test a two-node cluster in Google Cloud Platform to protect resources such as Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, NFS, SAP, and SAP HANA.
Before You Begin Your Evaluation
Review these links to understand key concepts you’ll need before you begin your failover clustering project.
- High Availability, RTO, and RPO – Gain a clear understanding of the fundamental concepts of HA.
- SIOS Protection Suite for Linux – Integrated Components – Understand the components included in SIOS Protection Suite: SIOS LifeKeeper, DataKeeper and application recovery kits/
- Benefits of SIOS Protection Suite for Linux – Learn how SIOS Protection Suite for Linux provides superior data protection
- How Workloads Should be Distributed when Migrating to a Cloud Environment – Unlike on=premises environments, public cloud offerings give you a wide range of geographical regions availability zones to choose from when deploying your workloads. Learn best practices for choosing a workload distribution strategy for the cloud.
- Public Cloud Platforms and their Network Structure Differences – Public cloud providers have their own networking structures. Learn the basics of how these structures affect your cluster configuration.
- How a Client Connects to the Active Node – Learn the key clustering mechanisms that detect and manage the response to application failures.
- How does Data Replication between Nodes Work? – Ensuring redundancy of storage is essential. Learn how SIOS DataKeeper efficiently replicates data between nodes.
- What is “Split Brain” and How to Avoid It Learn how to ensure you maintain one active node and one or more standby node(s) even when the network connection fails.
Configuring Network Components
This section outlines the computing resource required for each node, the network structure and the process required to configure these components.
- Learn how to configure network components for failover clustering
- Network Structure Used in this Tutorial
- Compute Resources Used in this Tutorial
Creating an Instance on Google Cloud Platform from Scratch
- Switching between GCP Services
- Deciding on a GCP Region
- Creating the Project
- Creating a VPC Network
- Creating a New SSH Key
- Creating the First GCP VM
- Configuring the Firewall Rules
- Creating the Second and Third VM
Configure Linux Nodes to Run SIOS Protection Suite for Linux
Install SIOS Protection Suite for Linux
Login and Basic Configuration
Protecting Critical Resources
Once the IP resource is protected, initiate a switchover (where the “standby” node becomes the “active” node) to test the functionality.
- How to Switch to Standby Node to Confirm Switchover is Working
- Protecting an Oracle Resource
- Protecting Microsoft SQL Server Using Quick Service Protection
- Protecting a PostgreSQL Resource
- Protecting an NFS Resource
- Protecting SAP Resources
- Protecting SAP HANA Resources