New Report Reveals Current Trends and Challenges Related to HA Applications including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and SAP/HANA
SAN MATEO, CA – September 5, 2018 – SIOS Technology Corp., the industry pioneer in providing intelligent application availability for critical workloads, today announced the results of a survey it conducted in partnership with ActualTech Media to understand current trends and challenges related to the general state of HA (high availability) applications in organizations of all sizes. The news is mixed when it comes to how well HA applications are supported.
The survey gathered responses from 390 IT professionals and decision makers from a broad range of company sizes in the U.S. Respondents consisted of people that manage databases, infrastructure, architecture, systems and software development, as well as those in IT management roles. For the purposes of this report, the focus is on tier-1 mission-critical applications, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and SAP/HANA.
Interesting findings include:
- Most (86%), but not all, organizations are operating their HA applications with some kind of clustering or high availability mechanism in place.
- A full 95% of respondents report that they have occasional failure in the underlying HA services that support their applications.
- Ninety-eight (98%) of respondents to the survey indicated that they see either regular or occasional application performance issues.
- When such issues occur, for most organizations, it takes between three and five hours to identify the cause and correct the issue and it takes using between two and four tools to do so.
- Small companies are leading the way by going all-in on operating their HA applications in the cloud and more than half (54%) of small companies intend to be running 50% or more of their HA applications in the cloud by the end of 2018.
- For companies of all sizes, control of the application environment remains a key reason why workloads remain on premises, with 60% of respondents indicating that this has played a factor in retaining one or more HA application on-premises rather than moving it into the cloud.
“There are some important trends that emerge from the report: first, it’s clear that organizations understand that the cloud lacks the guarantees needed to protect their mission-critical applications, and they’re using clustering or other high availability technology,” said Jerry Melnick, president and CEO, SIOS Technology. “A second takeaway is that even with those safeguards in place, the complexity and reliability of operations in the cloud offer particular challenges for HA solutions. This speaks to an important need for significantly more sophisticated HA solutions beyond what’s out there today. Next generation HA technologies will use machine learning-based intelligence to ensure reliable operations, reduce cost and offer deeper insight into cloud operations impacting service delivery and performance. These innovations will yield huge benefits in helping customers who rely on the services of critical applications.”
For more details, interested parties can download the full survey report here.
About SIOS Technology Corp.
SIOS Technology Corp. makes software products that provide the insights and guidance that IT managers need to manage and protect business-critical applications in large, complex data centers. SIOS SAN and SANLess software is an essential part of any cluster solution that provides the flexibility to build Clusters Your Way™ to protect your choice of Windows or Linux environment in any configuration (or combination) of physical, virtual and cloud (public, private, and hybrid) without sacrificing performance or availability. Founded in 1999, SIOS Technology Corp. (https://us.sios.com) is headquartered in San Mateo, California, and has offices throughout the United States, United Kingdom and Japan.
SIOS, SIOS Technology, SIOS DataKeeper, SIOS Protection Suite, Clusters Your Way, SIOS PERC Dashboard, and associated logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of SIOS Technology Corp. and/or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Winkowski Public Relations, LLC for SIOS